In 1747 the Moravians, as part of a self-sufficient community, built a thriving center of craft and commerce along the Monocacy Creek and the Lehigh River in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. Included in that cluster of buildings were a saw mill, soap mill, wash houses, grist mill, oil mill, tannery, blacksmith shop, water works and a brass foundry. Some of these structures are still standing today. In this photo, a section of the back end of the mill, once used for mill storage, stands in ruins, an Archimedes screw which was used in several devices within the mill and designed to lift heavy objects like mill stones, lays on the grass next to a large gear, also used in milling operations.
Busch Pressman Model D 4x5 LF press camera.
Graflex Optar 135mm F4.7 lens in a Graphex shutter.
Wratten 8 (yellow) filter on lens using a Kodak series VI slip-on filter adapter.
Arista EDU 200 Ultra B&W Negative Film, shot at ISO 160.
1/30th second @ F32.
Developed in Kodak Xtol 1+2 dilution in Mod54 daylight tank. 6 1/2 minutes @ 20 degrees Celsius.
Negative scanned with Epson V600.