Reading Railroad diesel locomotive 903 was one of the first six FP7s ordered from the General Motors Electro-Motive Division by the railroad in March 1950 to replace passenger steam locomotives. It and sister Reading 902, seen behind the 903 in this photo, were completed on June 1 of that year and delivered to the Reading via the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The pair pulled their first train on June 6. In the following years, the two locomotives sometimes worked together, and sometimes were split, depending on the size of their trains. Each of these locomotives produced 1,500 horsepower, are 55 feet long, weight 260,000 pounds and hold 1,200 gallons of diesel fuel. Both 903 and 902 are currently on loan to the Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton Pennsylvania where this photo was taken.
Sakai Toyo 5x7 large format metal field camera with 4x5 film back.
150mm Caltar-S II F 5.6 lens in Copal BT shutter.
Circular polarizer on lens.
Ilford FP4+ B&W Negative Film, shot at ISO 125.
1/2 second at F45.
Developed in Rodinal/Adox Adonal 1:50 dilution for 15 minutes @ 20 degrees Celsius in Mod54 daylight developing tank.
Negative scanned with Epson V600.