The Sand Tower on the grounds of the former East Broad Top Railroad in Orbisonia, Huntington County Pennsylvania. Built between 1904 and 1911, it replaced an earlier sand tower on the same spot. An adjoining ice house is seen to the left of the tower in this photo. The tower could hold up to twenty five tons of sand at a time. The building contains a drying mechanism using steam from the rail shops boiler and a blowing mechanism to force the sand up into the tower. It provided sand to the sand domes of the locomotives. The locomoties then dropoed the sand ahead or behind of their driver wheels to provide additional traction when needed.
Toko 4x5 wooden large format field camera.
150mm F6.8 Rodenstock Geronar lens in Copal BT shutter.
Ilford FP4+ B&W film, shot at ISO 100.
1/15th second at F32.
Developed in Pyrocat HD at 1:1:100 dilution for 8 minutes @ 20 degrees Celsius in Jobo Multitank 5 with 2509N sheet film reels with drum placed on Unicolor Uniroller 352 auto-reversing rotary base.
Negative scanned with Epson 4990 on holders with ANR glass.