Shadows reach out towards an old officer's quarters building, part of Officer's Row at the old Fort Hancock on the Sandy Hook peninsula of New Jersey. Several of these buildings have undergone renovations in recent years and are being leased out to individuals and companies as part of a renewal plan for the area.
Fort Hancock was built in 1890 to protect New York Harbor from attack by sea. It replaced an earlier fort called Fort Gates that was built during the war of 1812. Fort Hancock included a series of concrete gun batteries built on large concrete foundations and 12 inch barbette guns. The cold war era brought in new defenses including Nike Missiles that could intercept jet fighters. The surface to air missiles defended the skies from 1954 through 1974 when the fort closed as an active Army base. The fort complex and it's remaining 35 buildings are now part of the National Parks of New York Harbor under the National Park System and remains a popular Summertime day trip spot with beaches lining the Sandy Hook peninsula and bike rental areas providing transportation for tourists. Sandy Hook Lighthouse, the oldest working lighthouse in the United States is at the center of the Fort complex.
Toko 4x5 wooden large format field camera.
150mm F6.3 Rodenstock Geronar lens.
Ilford FP4+ ISO 125 B&W film, shot at ISO 100.
1/30th second at F32.
Developed in Pyrocat HD at 1:1:100 dilution for 8 minutes @ 20 degrees Celsius in Jobo Multitank 5 with 2509N sheet film reels with drum placed on Unicolor Uniroller 352 auto-reversing rotary base.
Negative scanned with Epson 4990 on holders fitted with ANR glass.